Caregiver Support Services
The Family Caregiver Support Program targets family caregivers of older adults, as well as grandparents and older adult caregivers of children or younger adult relatives with disabilities. Importance is placed on serving older persons with greatest the social and/or economic needs, with attention to those with low-incomes and those providing care and support to persons with mental retardation or developmental disabilities. New Mexico’s Family Caregiver Support Program is compromised of five service categories:
- Information about health conditions, resources, and community-based long-term care services that might best meet a caregiver’s needs.
- Access in securing correct help.
- Counseling, Support Groups & Caregiver Training to help caregivers make decisions, resolve problems, and develop the skills to care for loved ones.
- Respite Care to provide caregivers with relief from caregiving responsibilities.
- Supplemental Services, such as provision of home modifications, incontinence supplies, nutritional supplements and assistive devices, to support the efforts of caregivers.