Adult Protective Services Division
If you suspect an adult is being abused, neglected, or exploited, call Adult Protective Services Statewide Intake, toll free at 866-654-3219 or 505-476-4912.
The Adult Protective Services Division is mandated by New Mexico law to provide a system of protective services to persons over the age of 18 who are unable to protect themselves from abuse, neglect, or exploitation.
New Mexico has a “Duty to Report” provision in the Adult Protective Services Act (27-7-30) which states: “Any person, or financial institution, having reasonable cause to believe that an incapacitated adult is being abused, neglected or exploited shall immediately report that information to Adult Protective Services.” Adult Protective Services remains on call for emergent reports of adult abuse, neglect, and exploitation 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Investigations are conducted through a network of regions and field offices that cover all New Mexico counties. Caseworkers meet with alleged victims in their homes to investigate allegations, perform assessments, and address immediate safety needs. When necessary, APS provides short-term services, including emergency protective placement or caregivers, home care, adult day care, attendant care, and legal services, including filing of guardianship or conservatorship petitions in district court. The program works with health care providers, law enforcement, the judicial system, behavioral health agencies, and a wide range of community agencies to prevent continued abuse, neglect, or exploitation of adults who do not have the capacity to protect themselves.
The five Adult Protective Services Regions serving all 33 counties of New Mexico are:
- Northeast: Serving Santa Fe, Los Alamos, Rio Arriba, Taos, Colfax, Union, Mora, Harding, San Miguel, and Guadalupe counties.
- Northwest: Serving San Juan, McKinley, Cibola, Valencia, and Socorro counties, in addition to part of Sandoval county.
- Metro: Serving Bernalillo, Torrance, and Sandoval counties.
- Southeast: Serving Lincoln, De Baca, Quay, Curry, Roosevelt, Chaves, Eddy, and Lea counties.
- Southwest: Serving Catron, Grant, Hidalgo, Sierra, Luna, Dona Ana, and Otero counties.